Coordinators: Libby Anderson, Noreen Heighton & Anne Perry
Theme: Changing Times
Animateur: Tim Borlase
- First use of visiting artists with the inclusion of puppeteer Natalie Rewa, from Toronto
- Davis Inlet brings a play to the Festival for the first time.
- National coverage as a featured full-length show 'Bush Plane to Goose Bay' airs on CBC FM Arts National.
5 Performance Scripts for 1980
Coordinators: Cal Patey, Tim Borlase & Libby Anderson
Animateurs: Gaye Hauser & Katherine Smithrim
Visiting artists: Leonard Peterson, playwright; Stephen Hauser, artist; Cassie Brown, author; Bill Ritchie, artist; Theatre Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Major funding from Newfoundland and Labrador Arts Council, Secretary of State & IODE.
- Special project under an Exploration Grant develops historical photographs from the 'Them Days' collection
- Visiting artists: Leonard Peterson, playwright; Stephen Hauser, artist; Cassie Brown, author; Bill Ritchie, artist; Theatre Newfoundland and Labrador.
- First Button Design Competition. Winner: Darren Michelin, grade 8 student at Lake Melville School. The winning design is used to make buttons which are presented to all participating students and artists.
- For the first time visiting artists are sent to the coast to include more students in the Festival.
- First student art exhibition: teachers are invited to submit their students' art work, the pieces are sorted and a sample from several schools is sent to all of the participating schools.
- West St. Modeste sends a play to the Festival for the first time.
- Two-day teacher workshop on the arts
12 Performance Scripts for 1981
- All in the Family, Nain
- Getting the Point, West St. Modeste
- Hold On, North West River
- Led Astray, Happy Valley-Goose Bay
- Looking Back, Mud Lake
- Smoker, Rigolet
- Television Comes to Our Town, Makkovik
- The Flight, Happy Valley-Goose Bay
- The Little Prince, Black Tickle
- The Trouble with Bubbles, Happy Valley-Goose Bay
- Up the Base, Hopedale
- We Seek No City Streets Nor Lanes, Rigolet
Coordinators: Noreen Heighton, Cal Patey, Libby Anderson & Tim Borlase
Animateur: Carmel Doyle
Button design winner: Lisa Michelin, grade 8, Lake Melville School.
Visiting artists: Sheila Brown, music; Deborah Dunleavy, mime; Gail Innes, dance; Henry Beissil, playwright; Theatre Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Most of the plays were videotaped that year and the Festival sponsored Hopedale's Amos Comenius Memorial School's attendance at the Newfoundland and Labrador Drama Festival (adult).
5 Performance Scripts for 1982
Coordinators: Libby Anderson, Cal Patey & Tim Borlase
Animateur: Wendy Berner, dramatist.
Button design winner: Jack Penashue of Peenamin MacKenzie School in Sheshatshiu.
Visiting artsists: Sonja Dunn, storyteller & dramatist; Beni Malone, clown; Ken Gass, playwright; John Bonia, instrumentalist; Rose Adams, visual artist.
- Port Hope Simpson & Churchill Falls participate for the first time.
11 Performance Scripts for 1983
- Chemical to Let, Black Tickle
- Crazy Crinkle Cove Clinic, Mary's Harbour
- Garge's Queer Smelt, Port Hope Simpson
- Goose Bay! Goose Bay!, Cartwright
- Janet's Dreams, North West River
- Jessie's Dream, Mud Lake
- Kamatik Named Desire, Makkovik
- Spirit in the Falls, Churchill Falls
- The Easy Way Out, Nain
- Women of Labrador, Hopedale
- Yesterday's Imagination is Tomorrow's Reality, Happy Valley-Goose Bay
No festival this year.
Coordinators: Libby Anderson, Cal Patey & Tim Borlase
Animateur: Dorothy Jane Needles, actress, playwright and teacher.
Button design winner: Jimmy Ponniuk of Peacock Academy, Happy Valley.
Visiting artists: Newfoundland Dance Theatre; Scott McIsaac, clown; Josephine Kalleo, author
- Eight of the plays entered in the Creative Arts Festival go to the Regional High School Drama Festival and Hopedale's Amos Commenius Memorial School's 'Second Chance', a play about suicide, wins a spot in the Provincial High School Drama Festival.
12 Performance Scripts for 1985
- An Act of Will, West St. Modeste
- Bears on Hemlock Mountain, Rigolet
- Issumatsasiuk, Nain
- It's A Girl's Game, Too, Churchill Falls
- Karen's Return, Happy Valley-Goose Bay
- Lydia Campbell's Memories, North West River
- New Girl in Town, Makkovik
- Poems, Happy Valley-Goose Bay
- Second Chance, Hopedale
- The Labrador Coast, or Good Times & Hard Times, Mary's Harbour
- The Stonecutter, Mud Lake
- Who Asked Us Anyway?, Cartwright
Coordinators: Tim Borlase & Cal Patey
Animateur: Marion Cheeks
Button Design winner:
Visiting artists: Charlotte Cormier & Donald Deschenes, Acadian folksingers; Penny Kemp, sound; Anita Best, Newfoundland folksinger; Gwen Lawson, photography & pottery; Judy McGrath, 'Them Days Magazine'.
- First time at CAF for Red Bay & St. Lewis
13 Performance Scripts for 1986
- A Matter of Justice, Black Tickle
- Bats, Mud Lake
- Between Late Night Snacks, Mary's Harbour
- Come See For Yourself, Happy Valley-Goose Bay
- I Hate Myself, Makkovik
- Jim's Trap Berth, Port Hope Simpson
- Mean Streets, Red Bay
- P.C.B.'s: Possibly Contaminated Berries, Cartwright
- Parent's Wish - Child's Burden, St. Lewis
- Tears, Hopedale
- The Price Is Wrong/WGAB News, Weather, Sports, Transportation and the Social Scene/Air Labrador, Paradise River
- Then and Now, Rigolet
- They Didn't Want to Leave, Nain
Coordinators: Libby Anderson, Cal Patey, Tim Borlase & Marg Wakeman
Animateur: Wendy Berner
Button Design winner: Sherry Dyson, grade 6, Peacock Elementary, Happy Valley.
Visiting Artists: Maritime Marionettes, performing 'Cinderella'; Maxim Mazumdar, actor; Joan MacLeod, playwright; Cindy Wheeler, music & visual artist; Jay Barry, visual artist; Mavis Penney, stage craft; Sylvie Gawley, creative movement & dance.
- This year the Festival moved to the fall, to promote the use of drama as both a methodology and teaching tool throughout the year.
13 Performance Scripts for 1987
- All Lydia's Children, North West River
- Basque Whaler in My Basement, Red Bay
- Best Years of Our Lives?!, Happy Valley-Goose Bay
- Fish and Brewis, Cartwright
- Innocent Before Proven Guilty, Makkovik
- Kanitukuluk, Nain
- Never Cry Dog, Mud Lake
- No Easy Way Out, Mary's Harbour
- One Summer Dream, Davis Inlet
- The Boarding House, Paradise River
- The Caribou Man, Rigolet
- The Sebaskachu Monster, North West River
- Two Different Worlds, Black Tickle
Coordinators: Tim Borlase, Cal Patey, Libby Anderson & Marg Wakeham
Animateur: Jim Shea
Button Design winner: Connie Keefe, grade 12, St. Peter's School, Black Tickle
Visiting Artists: Jest In Time, movement & mime; Lilliput, musical play troupe; Sonja Dunn, drama & lyricist; Gilbert Haye, Inuit sculptor; June Baikie, music; Janice Wiseman, children's playwright; Deidre Kessler, author; Ewing Gallery art show
- A new initiative this year: the promotion of native foods. Goose High School Foods class prepared and the graduation committee from Our Lady Queen of Peace School served local dishes such as caribou stew, moose soup, boiled salmon, caribou chili, redberry juice, and baked char. Recipes were collected and a cookbook was produced. Said cookbook now in use in Home Economics classes across Labrador.
13 Performance Scripts for 1988
- Be Prepared, Mud Lake
- Cartwright, A One-Horse Town, Cartwright
- Christmas Past and Future, Rigolet
- Home, Which Home?, Nain
- I Don't Want This Education, Happy Valley-Goose Bay
- Inside 'en Out, Black Tickle
- Le Café Crocodile, Happy Valley-Goose Bay
- Pulling Up Roots, Forteau
- The Bear Hunt, Paradise River
- The First Lie, Makkovik
- Them Days, Hopedale
- Un Pyjama Party, Happy Valley-Goose Bay
- Who Will Stop the Rain?, St. Lewis
Coordinators: Tim Borlase, Marg Wakeham & Cal Patey
Animateur: Gaye Hauser
Button Design Winner: Robyn Holwell, Cartwright.
Visiting Artists: Cornelia Boucher-McLeod & Billy McLeod, singers; Rising Tide Theatre, 'Falling Through the Cracks'; Mermaid Theatre, puppet theatre; Atlantic String Quartet; Larry Zacharko, playwright; Rita Cox, storyteller; Marlene Creates photography exhibit; Christine Parker Gallery of Fine Arts & Scott Goudie, art show.
- Labrador City and Postville participate for the first time, meaning that the Festival has for the first time reached all areas of Labrador.
16 Performance Scripts for 1989
- A Chance for a Big Catch, Mud Lake
- Cinderelle, Makkovik
- Earth We Care, Happy Valley-Goose Bay
- Exceptional Children, Labrador City
- Gone, But Not Forgotten, Postville
- Help Me!, Rigolet
- If A Child?, Churchill Falls
- Just Call Me Sugar, Happy Valley-Goose Bay
- Life Is a Field of Honor, Black Tickle
- Money Changes Everything, Happy Valley-Goose Bay
- My Blue Heaven, Hopedale and Davis Inlet
- Nobody's Child, Mary's Harbour
- One Ghost Too Many, Nain
- Remembering Christmas, North West River
- Shiftin' Out, Cartwright
- Yesterday, Happy Valley-Goose Bay